Selling Lottery Products Does Good Things
If you’re interested in becoming an Oregon Lottery retailer, you’re in the right spot.
A Statewide Family of Retailers
Since 1985, the Oregon Lottery has transferred over $9 billion to provide funding for Oregon public schools, job creation and economic development, state parks and watershed enhancement. By joining the Oregon Lottery, you would become part of the family of retailers who have helped contribute this significant amount of money to the state of Oregon.
When you become an Oregon Lottery retailer you become part of a statewide family of retailers providing an array of exciting entertainment products for your customers to play – backed by the service and marketing support of the Lottery. You’ll tap into a brand new revenue stream attracting people who not only buy Lottery products, but other products in your retail environment as well. Selling Lottery products also helps the state of Oregon by generating profits which help fund thousands of critical projects and programs throughout the state.
Last year, Oregon retailers sold over one billion dollars in Lottery products, generating millions in commissions for retail businesses across the state. Selling Lottery products increases your bottom line and attracts new customers for all your product categories.
If you are interested in applying to become a retailer, the Lottery wants to hear from you. For more information, contact our Retail Application Support Specialist at 503-540-1136 or 1-800-766-6789, extension 1136.
Retailer Application Process
Things to Know Before Getting Started
- There are setup costs associated with being a Retailer. See Initial Retailer Costs below for complete information.
- A separate “lottery” bank account is highly recommended though not mandatory. Each Wednesday, the Lottery will sweep this account for product sales you made the previous week.
- Get that extra bank account to avoid accidental overdrafts and the need to post a bond.
- You will be charged a monthly telephone line fee. The costs are $73 for Traditional Lottery products and $211 for Video Lottery products. If you carry both Traditional and Video Lottery products the monthly fee is $211.
Initial Retailer Costs
Traditional Lottery Productions
- The installation of dedicated electrical power for the online terminal
- Non-dedicated power for the Keno monitor
- All electrical power costs
- A one-time Network Service Deposit of $634* is required to start the application process. After we receive the required Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form, the deposit will be electronically transferred from your bank account. You will receive the EFT form from your Field Contracts Consultant. Monthly telephone charges for Traditional only are $73.
Video Lottery Products Only
- Installation of dedicated electrical power for the Video Lottery terminals
- A one-time Network Service Deposit of $634* is required to start the application process. After we receive the required Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form, the deposit will be electronically transferred from your bank account. You will receive the EFT form from your Field Contracts Consultant. Monthly telephone charges for Video only are $211.
- Department of Revenue Amusement Tax Fee of $135 per terminal, per year and will be charged each July. For new video terminal installations, this will be pro-rated based on the state year.
- Any remodeling costs associated with providing an age-controlled area
*If selling both Traditional and Lottery products, there is only one charge of $634.
Having the Oregon Lottery in our small business has been a blessing.— Armando Robles, owner of La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant, La Grande
Start Your Lottery Application
- The business Entity must be registered and active on the Secretary of State’s website. An “Entity” is a corporation, LLC, Partnership, Sole Proprietorship, Trust, Non-Profit or Association. You can register here.
- The Assumed Business Name (ABN) must be correctly registered on the Secretary of State’s website. The Assumed Business Name is the name on the door or sign for your business. It’s the name your customers see. You can check to make sure your business Entity and ABN are correctly registered here.
- Federal Tax Identification Number (FIN) / Employer Identification Number (EIN). This number is issued by the IRS. It looks something like 98-7654321 and you can get one for free here.
- Business Identification Number (BIN). The BIN is issued by the Oregon Department of Revenue and looks something like 1234567-8 and you can get one for free here.
- If you are buying a business where Lottery products are sold, you’ll need to have an offer/acceptance in writing and must submit your own Oregon Lottery Retailer Application.
- For Traditional Lottery sales only – your business must be open and selling something.
- For Video Lottery sales – your business must be open and have an On-Premise Liquor License.
- Please be prepared to provide your e-mail address. Not having a valid e-mail address may slow the application process down.
- Includes a wide variety of Scratch-its, and draw games which include: Oregon’s Game Megabucks, Powerball, Mega Millions, Win For Life, Lucky Lines, Pick 4, Keno and Raffle.
- The average single-register Lottery retailer sells $115,197 Traditional products annually. At an average of $2.00 per transaction, that’s approximately $8,700 per year commission back in your pocket. The Oregon Lottery offers Traditional game commissions that increase with greater sales volume
|Amount Sold per Week||Compensation – Percent of Gross Sales|
|up to $1,000||5.0%|
|$1,001 to $2,000||7.0%|
|$2,001 to $3,000||7.5%|
|$3,001 to $4,000||8.0%|
|$4,001 to $5,000||8.5%|
|$5,001 to $6,000||9.0%|
|$6,001 to $7,000||9.5%|
|$7,001 and up||10.0%|
- Cashing Bonus – In addition to commissions, the Lottery offers a prize payment bonus of 1% on all tickets paid out in your establishment.
- Selling Bonus – The Lottery offers a 1% selling bonus for all validated prizes $10,000 and above. The maximum paid on the 1% selling bonus is $100,000.
- Guaranteed Sales – We make it easy for you to carry and sell Scratch-itSM tickets and will buy back any tickets that are not selling.
- State-of-the-art game terminals in restaurants, bars and taverns that feature video poker and line games.
|Dollars Played Range Rate||Average Annual Sales|
|$0 – $2,250,000||2.2%|
|$2,250,000 – $4,000,000||1.75%|
|$4,000,000 – $6,500,000||1.5%|
*(Source-OSL Retail Ops, 2009 business year average annual sales by LSIC)
Lottery Operational Support
Once you become a Lottery retailer, support unfolds on a number of levels as you begin to sell products and generate new revenue. Here are the basics:
- Crews to install your equipment
- Service technicians are available to service/repair your equipment
- 20-hour hotline support, seven days a week, from 6 AM – 2 AM.
- A dedicated sales representative who will make bi-weekly calls to your establishment
- A sales specialist who will call you to make sure all of your needs are addressed
- Retailer training both at the Lottery and on-site at your location
The introduction of Oregon Lottery products will be a positive addition to your business. Below is the equipment the Lottery provides to you at no charge:
- Video Lottery terminals
- Sales terminals and supporting equipment
- Dispensers for Scratch-it tickets
- Interior and/or exterior signs to promote Lottery in your establishment
- Player Kiosk
- LCD flat screen monitor
- Promotions – During the course of the year we offer many promotions to help grow your business – all designed to help boost awareness and drive sales.
- Advertising – At no cost to you, the Lottery produces statewide advertising which educates your customers about the Lottery games they may want to play. We traditionally run TV, radio, outdoor advertising, Internet campaigns and other means of support to excite your customers about Lottery games. Point-of-sale materials are also provided for your establishment to help drive awareness and increase sales.
Oregon Lottery Retailer Requirements
Applicants must submit fingerprints with their retailer applications. You will be provided information on obtaining your fingerprints when your application has been initiated.
Some of our favorite products
Have you ever had a butterfly settle softly on your shoulder? It’s said to be a sign of good luck. What a great theme for this exciting Scratch-it, Butterfly Bingo! Match the caller’s numbers to the numbers on any of the five cards included on your ticket. A butterfly symbol means a free space—another step closer to completing that all important “Bingo!” Flit, float, or flutter down to your nearest store and look for the butterflies for your Bingo Scratch-it fun!
The Camo Crossword
Calling all word lovers! There’s a $15,000 top prize just waiting to be found with The Camo Crossword! You might need your compass as you search for the camouflaged letters, but it’s totally worth it. Imagine all the camo gear you can buy. And don’t forget the binocular bonuses for additional chances to win. Happy scratchin’!
You may be familiar with the story of a certain girl from Kansas who recites “no place like home” as she taps some Ruby Red slippers to skip security at the airport. While our Ruby Red Scratch-it can’t get you back to Oregon from a magical kingdom, it could whisk $10,000 into your bank account! If you uncover the word “red”, you’ll win an instant $25. So grab a couple of these shiny $2 tickets next time you stop by the store for a tasty treat. Saying “there’s no place like home” as you scratch is completely up to you.
Luck be a lady! This sensational, hot-pink Scratch-it could be your ticket to top prize of $50,000. This lucky lady comes with her own good luck charm—a four-leaf clover in solid gold. Pick up a Lady Luck Scratch-it today and maybe, just maybe, Lady Luck will smile on you!
Are you a fan of the classics? Do things like classic cars, books and movies put a spring in your step? Then CLASSIC CASH might just be for you! This $10 Scratch-it offers a chance to grab some classic coin, with a top prize of $100-grand! Pick up CLASSIC CASH for a bit of stylish fun.
From a dazzling blue sky to the deep blue of the ocean, there’s no better color than brilliant sapphire! And now you can capture that same sunny-day feeling with Brilliant Sapphire Scratch-its. This gem of a ticket comes with a chance at a top prize of $50,000! Just look for the blue the next time you’re picking up Scratch-its—that’s Brilliant Sapphire!
If you think jokers are worthless, the joke’s on you! This joker could be worth a top prize of $75,000-no joke. And this joker is indeed wild; reveal him on any of your “spins” and you’ll win ten times the prize shown. Don’t let the joke go over your head-bring home Joker today!