Selling Lottery Products Does Good Things
If you’re interested in becoming an Oregon Lottery retailer, you’re in the right spot.
A Statewide Family of Retailers
Since 1985, the Oregon Lottery has transferred over $9 billion to provide funding for Oregon public schools, job creation and economic development, state parks and watershed enhancement. By joining the Oregon Lottery, you would become part of the family of retailers who have helped contribute this significant amount of money to the state of Oregon.
When you become an Oregon Lottery retailer you become part of a statewide family of retailers providing an array of exciting entertainment products for your customers to play – backed by the service and marketing support of the Lottery. You’ll tap into a brand new revenue stream attracting people who not only buy Lottery products, but other products in your retail environment as well. Selling Lottery products also helps the state of Oregon by generating profits which help fund thousands of critical projects and programs throughout the state.
Last year, Oregon retailers sold over one billion dollars in Lottery products, generating millions in commissions for retail businesses across the state. Selling Lottery products increases your bottom line and attracts new customers for all your product categories.
If you are interested in applying to become a retailer, the Lottery wants to hear from you. For more information, contact our Retail Contracts Consultant at 503-540-1136 or 1-800-766-6789, extension 1136.
Retailer Application Process
Things to Know Before Getting Started
- There are setup costs associated with being a Retailer. See Initial Retailer Costs below for complete information.
- A separate “lottery” bank account is highly recommended though not mandatory. Each Wednesday, the Lottery will sweep this account for product sales you made the previous week.
- Get that extra bank account to avoid accidental overdrafts and the need to post a bond.
- You will be charged a monthly network line fee. The costs are $73 for Traditional Lottery products and $211 for Video Lottery products. If you carry both Traditional and Video Lottery products the monthly fee is $211.
Initial Retailer Costs
Traditional Lottery Productions
- The installation of dedicated electrical power for the online terminal
- Non-dedicated power for the Keno monitor
- All electrical power costs
- A one-time Network Service Deposit of $634* is required to start the application process. After we receive the required Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form, the deposit will be electronically transferred from your bank account. You will receive the EFT form from your Field Contracts Consultant. Monthly telephone charges for Traditional only are $73.
Video Lottery Products Only
- Installation of dedicated electrical power for the Video Lottery terminals
- A one-time Network Service Deposit of $634* is required to start the application process. After we receive the required Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form, the deposit will be electronically transferred from your bank account. You will receive the EFT form from your Field Contracts Consultant. Monthly telephone charges for Video only are $211.
- Department of Revenue Amusement Tax Fee of $135 per terminal, per year and will be charged each July. For new video terminal installations, this will be pro-rated based on the state year.
- Any remodeling costs associated with providing an age-controlled area
*If selling both Traditional and Lottery products, there is only one charge of $634.
Having the Oregon Lottery in our small business has been a blessing.— Armando Robles, owner of La Fiesta Mexican Restaurant, La Grande
Start Your Lottery Application
- The business Entity must be registered and active on the Secretary of State’s website. An “Entity” is a corporation, LLC, Partnership, Sole Proprietorship, Trust, Non-Profit or Association. You can register here.
- The Assumed Business Name (ABN) must be correctly registered on the Secretary of State’s website. The Assumed Business Name is the name on the door or sign for your business. It’s the name your customers see. You can check to make sure your business Entity and ABN are correctly registered here.
- Federal Tax Identification Number (FIN) / Employer Identification Number (EIN). This number is issued by the IRS. It looks something like 98-7654321 and you can get one for free here.
- Business Identification Number (BIN). The BIN is issued by the Oregon Department of Revenue and looks something like 1234567-8 and you can get one for free here.
- If you are buying a business where Lottery products are sold, you’ll need to have an offer/acceptance in writing and must submit your own Oregon Lottery Retailer Application.
- For Traditional Lottery sales only – your business must be open and selling something.
- For Video Lottery sales – your business must qualify to apply for selling Video Lottery. Primarily, this entails being a business that the public recognizing as a dine-in establishment and where alcoholic beverages are available.
- Please be prepared to provide your e-mail address. Not having a valid e-mail address may slow the application process down.
- Includes a wide variety of Scratch-its, and draw games which include: Oregon’s Game Megabucks, Powerball, Mega Millions, Win For Life, Lucky Lines, Pick 4, Keno and Raffle.
- The Oregon Lottery offers Traditional game commissions at 8%. The average single-register Lottery retailer sells $115,197 Traditional products annually. At an average of $2.00 per transaction, that’s approximately $8,700 per year commission back in your pocket.
- Cashing Bonus – In addition to commissions, the Lottery offers a prize payment bonus of 1% on all tickets paid out in your establishment.
- Selling Bonus – The Lottery offers a 1% selling bonus for all validated prizes $10,000 and above. The maximum paid on the 1% selling bonus is $100,000.
- Guaranteed Sales – We make it easy for you to carry and sell Scratch-itSM tickets and will buy back any tickets that are not selling.
- State-of-the-art game terminals in restaurants, bars and taverns that feature video poker and line games.
|Dollars Played Range Rate||Average Annual Sales|
|$0 – $2,250,000||2.2%|
|$2,250,000 – $4,000,000||1.75%|
|$4,000,000 – $6,500,000||1.5%|
*(Source-OSL Retail Ops, 2009 business year average annual sales by LSIC)
Lottery Operational Support
Once you become a Lottery retailer, support unfolds on a number of levels as you begin to sell products and generate new revenue. Here are the basics:
- Crews to install your equipment
- Service technicians are available to service/repair your equipment
- Hotline support, seven days a week, from 7 AM – 8 PM.
- A dedicated sales representative who will make bi-weekly calls to your establishment
- A sales specialist who will call you to make sure all of your needs are addressed
- Retailer training both at the Lottery and on-site at your location
The introduction of Oregon Lottery products will be a positive addition to your business. Below is the equipment the Lottery provides to you at no charge:
- Video Lottery terminals
- Sales terminals and supporting equipment
- Dispensers for Scratch-it tickets
- Interior and/or exterior signs to promote Lottery in your establishment
- LCD flat screen monitor
- Promotions – During the course of the year we offer many promotions to help grow your business – all designed to help boost awareness and drive sales.
- Advertising – At no cost to you, the Lottery produces statewide advertising which educates your customers about the Lottery games they may want to play. We traditionally run TV, radio, outdoor advertising, Internet campaigns and other means of support to excite your customers about Lottery games. Point-of-sale materials are also provided for your establishment to help drive awareness and increase sales.
Oregon Lottery Retailer Requirements
Applicants must submit fingerprints with their retailer applications. You will be provided information on obtaining your fingerprints when your application has been initiated.
Some of our favorite products
Code Breaker Crossword
Drink your Ovaltine and get out your secret decoder ring! It’s time for Code Breaker Crossword, a $3 ticket with an encrypted chance at a top prize of $25,000. You’ll get two puzzles to play—the more words you match, the bigger your prize. Start scratching a decipher some code breaking fun today!
Gold Rush 2 Bingo
Attention Sourdoughs, 49ers, and muckmen! There’s gold in them thar hills, and the rush is on. Stake your claim with any of the five bingo cards on this gleaming ticket. You know how this works; match the “caller’s” numbers and, if you match the full line, holler “Bingo!” for a chance to win up to 25,000 smackaroos. It’s a whole lot of prospecting fun for just $3, so rush on into your favorite store and pick up Gold Rush 2 Bingo for your very own chance to hit the motherlode!
This game is FOR REAL! To be more exact, this game is FOR REEL! Traditional slot machines, $50,000 top prize, plenty of game play and reels for days are all yours for just $5 with the Jackpot Riches Scratch-it. Track down your lucky coin and pick up your chance to win $50,000 with Jackpot Riches.
If Oregon had an official state fabric, it would be flannel! There’s nothing better to ward off the damp chill that sometimes settles on the Pacific Northwest. And Flannel Crossword Scratch-its are another great way to warm up your day. The more words you complete, the more money you win—up to a top prize of $15,000!
It’s party time! Will it be a masked masquerade or a virtual zoom fest to ring in the winter? Whatever your take on holiday parties is this year, Holiday Party Scratch-its will dazzle your guests with glitter and delight—not to mention a chance at a top prize of $150,000! It’s a high-end, high thrill ticket for all those special someones on your gift list, maybe even you. Party on, with Holiday Party!
Join in the best reindeer games ever—Reindeer Riches! You won’t have to have a shiny red nose to see your way through the blizzard of snowflakes that cover this frosty, blue Scratch-it, just scratch your way through the lacy flakes to reveal your results. Will you win the $75,000 top prize? Some lucky buck will. And if it’s not you, never fear! You can always enter the Second Chance drawing for another chance after the holidays.
Deck the Halls
Get those elves off the shelf and put them to work! Our elves are busy decking the halls and trimming the tree on our festive Deck the Halls Scratch-its! Just $2 buys this ticket with a chance at a $10,000 prize. Buy them for all those hard-to-shop-for adults on your list, and don’t forget to get a couple for yourself too. Great gifts and great fun for the holidays!
Is there anything as magical as the silence of a snow-shrouded winter night? How about a gift that’s sure to help you finish your shopping and enjoy some of that winter quiet rather than bustle and noise? For just $5, Winter Magic will be certain to thrill everyone on your list. It’s a bit of fun and a chance at $50,000 (and a second chance at the top prize if you enter our Second Chance drawings). It’s the perfect gift for anyone over 18 — maybe even yourself!